I've wanted to do this for a long time—to actually talk to all of you, give you updates and training, tell you the backgrounds and reasons for the communications I'm sharing. And though I've done podcasts in the past for other websites, it's always scary to start a new one.
I also wanted things to be perfect, but my desire for perfection was keeping me from just getting started. In addition, in many ways you never know what works or doesn't on a podcast until you start doing it. So I jumped in and here we are!
Click on the player above to listen and the show notes and links for the podcast follow.
Hi, I’m Yvon Prehn and welcome to the Effective Church Communications Podcast
• This podcast will help you be more effective in creating communications that will help your church fully fulfill the Great Commission
• This is Episode #1 where our primary topic will be Communications and Challenges for Graduation. But first I’d like to introduce this Podcast, why I decided to do it, the structure of it and future plans for it .
• Let’s get started….
About this podcast and why I decided to do it
• Bottom line, I wanted to talk to you. There are some things that I can do verbally that I can’t do as well in a written format—emphasize things, give you background, encourage you spiritually, and pray for you.
• I’ve known many of you for many years and many of your kind notes have been a great encouragement to me in the challenging changes of the website and ministry we are currently involved in. I picture your faces as I’m working and as I record this podcast.
Also for you
• It is sometimes easier to listen than it is to take time to read. When sorting things at your desk, driving, working out, doing housework or cooking, being able to listen gives you the chance to take in information you don’t have time to otherwise.
• Also it might be easier to recommend the podcast to a pastor or other leader who may have time to listen, but not want to watch a training video or read an article online.
• Here is my plan for the podcasts….though I want to try various things and see how it goes before it is set in stone.
• The podcasts will come out the same day as the newsletter (PLEASE sign up for it if you aren’t on the list) one early in the week, this one hope to do each week. The second one might not be every week and I’ll tell you more about that in a minute.
Early in the week podcast will be:
• An overview of the primary topic featured in the newsletter and website for the week. This will often be seasonal, for example this week is for Graduation.
• An overview of the resources for you on that topic and tips for how to use them most effectively
• I want to end the Podcast at the beginning of each week with encouragement and biblical reminders of the importance of the incredible ministry you are doing for the Kingdom of God.
• To do that, I will read you one of my devotions and then close by praying for you.
The second Podcast later in the week will be or periodically
• A primarily training podcast, from a variety of sources.
• Sometimes the training will be seasonal, sometimes on a specific topic.
• I’ll be trying different things on this, but one thing I want to try is doing a preview of training from the Church Communications Training School.
• There will always be more information in books and classes, but the podcasts can serve as overviews, intros, and reviews of key points.
The PODCAST is a work in progress
• I decided to just jump in for this ECC one, I’ve done a number of limited ones in the past and limited series in other areas, e.g. for my SS class and the response has been very positive.
• Eventually I’ll get them on i-tunes etc. and have proper show transcriptions and all, but right now just talking to you, with the show notes following will work to start.
• Enough intro about the Podcast, let’s get into today’s topic
Graduation—Prayers and Challenges
• Remember, ALL the templates I’ll talk about that are in the newsletter and this podcast are FREE at www.effectivechurchcom.com
Here are the links to the resources I listed:
Free Challenging Instagram graphics for GRADUATION, download and use
A Prayer for Graduates, Free flyer, bulletin insert
A challenge for Graduates—choose your North Star wisely
For Graduates: Celebrate but also challenge
• There are the typical ways to celebrate graduation, but the materials I’m doing are a little different. Let me talk through each one, give you an overview and tips to make the most of them.
Finally, some encouragement to you
• You have so much to do, so many incredible responsibilities, and in closing let me read you a devotion from my book, Devotions for Church Communicators. There is a link to it in the show notes.
• Link: https://www.effectivechurchcom.com/devotion-1-reality-of-our-situation-challenging-spiritual-warfare/
• That’s all for today
• Until our next podcast, this is Yvon Prehn, please check out the show notes below this podcast and other materials to help you create more effective church communications at the www.effectivechurchcom.com and at the www.churchcomtraining.com websites
• And now let me pray for you….